April 19, 2012

My First Cellphone

A handful of retail reps were asked to participate in a tour of a wireless hub in Westboro, MA last week.  The Westboro facility is a hub through which most of New England's cellular traffic flows.  The tour was focused on showing the hardware behind 4G LTE, including servers and backup batteries.

At the beginning of the tour we were all asked to introduce ourselves, say how long we had been working with the company, identify the first cellphone we ever had, and the one we are using today.

My first cellphone was a bag phone that my dad no longer used.  It sat in under the driver's seat of my first car all of the time.  I only pulled it out once or twice for emergencies.  But since I hardly used it I didn't count it as my first one.

Mine was the Audiovox CDM 4000:


This was truly portable compared to the bag phone because it was not much bigger than some of the phones we use today.  I found the owner's manual online.  The introduction goes:

"Congratulations...(sic) You have just purchased one of the most advanced cellular telephones in the market today.  Your new Audiovox portable telephone is a dual mode cellular telephone operating in both standard analog and the CDMA "digital" (sic) modes."

The thing came with a charging cradle and a wrist strap, which is more than most come with these days.  To emphasize the age of the phone even more the manual mentioned roaming mode, indicated by an "Rm" on the screen; a separate voicemail key labeled "V+"; and it only had 100 slots for the contact list.

My next upgrade was a silver one just like it.  The enhanced feature on that was a setting that allowed you to record the name of a speed dial so you could hit a button, say the name, and it would call the person. It was primitive voice command because it only recognized what you were saying based on your recorded voice.  These two phones lasted me from about 1999 through 2003.

When I announced to the group my first phone I showed it to them as a picture downloaded from the web on my current phone the Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX:

 



No comments:

Post a Comment