April 15, 2012

Slacker Favorites

Most smartphones come with the Slacker radio icon in its mix of stock applications.  The limited service is free but good enough for cheapskates like me.  The biggest disadvantage is having to listen to a car commercial every four songs.  Like Pandora, Slacker lets you skip songs you don't like and heart the ones you would like to hear more often.

My first smartphone was a Blackberry Tour:



It was top of the line when it came out in '09.  Slacker was my most used third-party application.  I've had it on every phone since so my favorites list has gotten pretty long.  My most listened to stations are 90's Hip Hop, UK Hits.  I've favorited 46 songs so far.  Below is my list of the favorites I had never heard before and feel compelled enough to share.

UK Hits

Bullet for my Valentine "Bittersweet Memories" - The chorus rocks!

Passion Pit "Little Secrets" - Fun. Period.

Lily Allen "Everyone's At It" - Song about pharmaceutical abuse.  Allen can really sing.  She also has tons of hits in her relatively new career.  She's featured with T-Pain on that 5 o'clock in the morning song (actually it was her song but he added it to his song like Eminem did with Dido.)

Sade "Soldier of Love" - This could have easily been an 80s song but glad it isn't.

Duffy "Well Well Well" - You've probably heard this but it's too good not to mention.  She also sings that song that goes "you've got me begging for mercy."

Eliza Doolittle "Skinny Genes" - Reminds me a little of that Ingrid Michaelson song "The Way I Am."

The Prodigy "Spitfire" - Nothing new but I like this industrial/electronic stuff (in moderation).

Kate Nash "Pumpkin Soup" - Typical poppy UK hit with a nice brass in the background.

Lady Sovereign "So Human" - If you haven't heard her biggest songs they are great.  A young teenage female rapper who was on US radio for a bit but hasn't done much since.

Oasis "All Around the World" - Did this song get much airtime?  I don't remember it.

Daniel Merriweather "Change" - Opening piano draws you right in.

The Chemical Brothers "Believe" - I need to listen to more of this band.

Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip "Cauliflower" - Electronica.  Yes, his name translates to Dan the Sac.  Who knows why the song's called cauliflower.


90's Hip Hop

Goodie Mob "Cell Therapy" - Never heard of these guys.  I put this song at the top because it's great.  The video on the other hand....  But I did discover from the video that Ceelo Green was in this group!

Coolio "Bring Back Somethin Fo Da Hood" and "Mama I'm in Love With a Gangsta" - Coolio's songs that made it to air were pretty clean.  It's easy to forget Coolio was real gangster rap even though he had "Gangster's Paradise."  A lot of the tracks on these albums I have never heard because I wasn't allowed to get the explicit albums as a kid.

De La Soul "Big Brother Beat" - They had a song featuring Redman called "Ooh" that got a lot of airtime.  This is the only other song I know by them.

Junior M.A.F.I.A "Player's Anthem" - tink, tink, tink, tink. The beat is recognizable but it doesn't get airtime anymore even on throwback hours on hip hop stations.

LL Cool J "Back Seat" - Was this song ever on the charts? It's definitely chartworthy.  This is one of those songs I can't believe I didn't discover until last year!

MC Lyte "Ruffneck" - Apparently she had a couple of gold albums.  I thought she was The Lady of Rage who was featured on Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle album.

Method Man ft/D'Angelo "Break Ups 2 Make Ups"

Nas "Sweet Dreams" - Has the same beat as Tupac's "All Eyez on Me"

Beatnuts "Watch Out Now" - This is one of my favorites from the 90s.

Dr. Dre "Some L.A. Niggaz" - Even though I had the 2001 album I must have skipped over this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment