May 22, 2012

Bad Blues

One of the best things to come out of a breakup was when I picked up the guitar in 2007.  The girl I was with had expressed interest in learning how to play but never got around to it.  When we split that idea stayed with me, and I thought, why not give it a go?

My brother Nate had started taking lessons in electric when he was 12 but never learned enough to play.  His Squire Stratocaster (pictured below) and Simon and Patrick Folk Acoustic stayed around the house because his friends were very musical.  Nate took a liking to vocals while his friends played instruments.  I asked my parents if I could take his hand-me-up guitars and they obliged.


I expressed to my first guitar teacher that I wanted to learn how to play basic rock and christian songs.  At the time I was involved with a church that was into contemporary praise and worship music.  My teacher was into the blues at the time so we started with a mix of theory and Mississippi Delta blues style songs.  Since my singing ability is (ahem) less than stellar I took a liking to the style, preferring instrumental songs that didn't require, but often had, lyrics.  Learning the Delta blues has helped understand the roots of American music.  To this day I focus mostly on this style because it never gets old.

The song I posted today is a cover of "Bad Blues" by Baby Tate.  The first version of this song I heard was on Daddystovepipe's YouTube channel.  The song is awesome because it is a slow, low sounding blues song that has a bunch of different parts.  Fortunately, Daddystovepipe had a lesson on it so I have been working on it for a few months.


No comments:

Post a Comment